Thursday 26 January 2017

FONT TYPES RESEARCH






Serif fonts have flourishes on the end of their letters to show they are more of an Olden styled font, whereas Sans Serif does not have this elegant touch and Sans means "without" and this is how to clearly tell the difference between the two. The term typography refers to how the font is presented using either Serif or Sans serif alongside the different styles in which can be used to convey different types of themes or moods of a piece of writing. Serif may portray that the text is quite formal and will usually be used in formats such as Newspapers or articles. However, on the other hand Sans serif may be used to relate to a younger audience and can be found online on websites or pages that are specifically used by everyone such as Facebook. When choosing font types I found it quite difficult to decide on which of the two ideas that I should lean towards either Sans Serif or just Serif, however I began to become more persuaded towards Serif as I wanted to create a normal simplistic look on my magazine and throughout the articles inside. I researched different types of fonts in both categories as this widened my approach on which style to use.



The following font types are all examples of popular uses of Sans Serif. The most common one for me, would be Arial as I think this is the font I usually type most of my posts in.

Examples of the main types would be: 

  • Arial Regular
  • Calibri
  • Myriad Roman



However these are examples of Serif font types, and the difference between them is clear to see as these may have the approach of being more formal and old fashioned.

Examples of the main types would be:

  • Georgia
  • Century
  • Book Antigua


Referring back to my research, I chose the following font types as I think each one is quite delicate looking and have a vintage look to them, this is what Indie Pop would be about as they try to capture the beauty of acoustic music or slow riveting melodies. The thinness of the letters would look good printed out on my magazine as they would come out very sleek looking and textured quite softly and would make the writing seem more simplistic than if I was to use Serif font types.

Despite researching the above font types, I finally chose "Lane" this choice was due to the simplicity of the letters and how soft they came across when written with, I will use this font style generally in size 10/11 for the text, and for the titles maybe 14/16.












This is an example of where the Masthead has used Sans Serif font, whereas the subheadings and the artists name "USHER" has been written using Serif. The effect of using both of these font types, can come across as if this magazine can be read by both formal and informal readers. For example its socioeconomic may reside within the B/C/D groups.



No comments:

Post a Comment